Volunteer with Us
Our success depends on people like you to serve as volunteers for our literacy services. If you are interested in helping adult learners improve literacy skills in order to improve their lives, two hours a week can make a huge difference! Skyline Literacy is always accepting volunteers!
Interested in Getting Involved?
Upcoming Trainings & Orientations
Tutor Orientation: TBA
English (ESOL) Tutor Training: TBA
Citizenship Tutor Training: Sat., July 14, 2018, 10 am - 2 pm
*Unless noted otherwise, all orientations and trainings will take place at Skyline Literacy, 160 N. Mason Street, Harrisonburg, VA.
Qualifications and Expectations:
- Must be at least eighteen years of age and have a minimum of a high school diploma or GED.
- Must have an interest in educating adults and helping them reach their full potential.
- Tutors typically volunteer 2 hours per week.
- Tutors are required to attend both tutor orientation and tutor training; tutor assistants are required to attend tutor orientation
- There are four training tracks for tutors: ELL, basic literacy, citizenship program, and GED (each training is 4 hours). Find out about each of these specific tracks under our Programs page.
Other Ways to Get Involved with Skyline Literacy
Maybe you are not ready to be a tutor but would like to volunteer your time in other ways. If you would like to volunteer but cannot commit to weekly tutoring, you can:
- Assist in the office or with special projects
- Provide computer technical support
- Contribute to the quarterly newsletter
- Assist in grant writing and/or research
- Administer language assessments to ELL learners (we provide training)
- Help maintain the Skyline Literacy web site
- Assist as a computer monitor with learners in our computer lab
- Communicate with our ELL learners by phone in Spanish, Kurdish, Russian, Vietnamese, French or Tigrinya
- Assist with the annual auction or other events
- Distribute flyers
- Assist with bookkeeping